Prof. Dr. Ines Mergel
Professor Dr. Ines Mergel is full Professor of Public Administration in the Department of Politics and Public Administration at the University of Konstanz, Germany. Previously, she served as Associate Professor with tenure at the Department of Public Administration and International Affairs at Syracuse University's Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs, Syracuse, NY, USA. Before joining the faculty at the Maxwell School, Professor Mergel taught at Harvard's Extension School in the Management Master Program and stayed as a doctoral student and postdoctoral fellow at Harvard's Kennedy School of Government.
Professor Mergel's research focuses on public management topics, specifically the managerial and technological processes in the implementation and institutionalization of innovative public management practices. Current projects include digital transformation, open innovation, big data, and the use of inhouse social networking technologies in the public sector.
Professor Mergel is Associate Editor of the journal Government Information Quarterly, serves on the editorial boards of Public Administration Review, Information Polity, Public Performance & Management Review, and the board of directors of the Public Management Research Association. In 2016, Professor Mergel was appointed as a Senior Fellow at the German Research Institute for Public Administration.
- October 2016: Professor Mergel served as an expert for a new U.S. GAO report on Open Innovation
- September 26, 2016: CfP Special Issue on Agile Government and Adaptive Governance in Government Information Quarterly, edited by Ines Mergel, Yiwei Gong, John Bertot
- September 9, 2016: New article published "Big Data in Public Affairs" in Public Administration Review.
- September 7, 2016: New article "Agile innovation management in government: A research agenda" published in Government Information Quarterly.
- August 24-26, 2016: Prof. Mergel presented her paper "Toward a Theory of Digital Transformation" at the European Group of Public Administration (EGPA) annual conference in Utrecht, NL.
- August 2, 2016: Prof. Ines Mergel receives stipend to study the "Implementing Digital Services Teams Across the U.S. Federal Government" awarded by the IBM Center for the Business of Government.
Professor Dr. Ines Mergel
Department of Politics and Public Administration
University of Konstanz
Mailbox: D 91, Room D234