Writing a strong letter of recommendation requires serious work and great care. Generally, these letters ask how long I have known a student, in what capacity, and how I rank a student relative to peers and past students. A strong letter is based on excellent work and a sustainend relationship between the writer and the student.
If you are considering me as a reference, please make sure that:
- I am familiar with you and your work
- I am able to recommend you, i.e. that you excelled in my class(es), etc.
- I have at least 4 weeks of lead time for writing the letter
- I understand your qualifications for the position that you are applying to
If I agree to write you a letter, please provide me with the following information in hard copy or pdf:
- all relevant information about your work under my supervision (courses, work, thesis, etc.)
- all relevant information about your application (e.g. cover letter, personal statements)
- all relevant information about the position/program you are applying to (e.g. job/program description)
- your CV, transcripts, GPAs, etc.
- a list that contains the positions/programs you are applying to and their deadlines
- if required, fill out as much information as possible on online and/or hard copy forms
Please inform me about the results. I am genuinely interested in the outcome.